Friday, March 30, 2012

Hey Bloggers

Before I get started I would like to personally introduce myself to you. My name is Fatima Ghaddar and  Im a Graphic Designer and a Fashion Photographer living in Hamilton, On. I work with the creative suite programs and work with traditional media and photography. I have explored many avenues such as "The Factory, 270 Sherman, and the Humblepie" which was my favorite place to visit. 

So on Tuesday March 27th me and my group of friends went to downtown Hamilton to explore and interviewed different shops and graphic design companies where we had to asked questions about breaking in the business and what its to be expected and what the life of a graphic designer is like. So to begin I would like to introduce the first place we went which was the "Humblepie". 

Humblepie is a retail store and studio/workshop inviting you to explore vintage, eclectic design details in a creative, fresh environment. The shop smells wonderful and with blues & jazz playing throughout the store and workspace, it’s a very inspiring experience. There is an in-house upright bass and piano for live music. We specialize in vintage and upcycled fashion & interior design accessories, kitchenware & barware, pottery & linens, jewellery, furniture and original artwork. Humblepie is a one-stop shop retreat for those in search of something useful, beautiful and unique.

Most of our items are ‘one offs’, not ‘off the shelf’, and a lot of them celebrate a bygone era of quality manufacturing that is unlikely to return. Our stock is ever-changing, and although diverse, everything we sell shares a common thread of great design, craftsmanship or engineering that has stood the test of time. However, we would like to offer more than a great deal or a nostalgic trip; and by breathing new life into tired items destined for the land-fill, we can all help to reduce, re-use and recycle. Join us for one of our creative workshops. 

Up-cycling, as it relates to interior design, is re-inventing and re-using old furniture/materials and turning it into something that works in today’s interiors. It is seeing the potential of discarded materials and developing them or incorporating them into bespoke, custom design. Contact us if you like the ethos behind up-cycling. It’s not only about reducing waste and consumption of new materials, but also to develop design processes that constantly seeks to add value for sustainable living.

Phone Number: 1 289.389.7208

I would highly recommend checking this place out it was certainly on of my favorite place to visit just because I saw alot of cool graphic work including fashion and vintage clothing and antiques which I really liked and interviewed two women about their shop, work life and style, I also took some pictures as you will see . I really learned alot and took notes while listening and asking questions because I found what they were saying was very useful considering they are working in the real world and handing clients, so I took advantage of what I was going to be in for. I have to say I got really excited when I saw all the fashion and vintage clothing, hand made jewelry, fashion art drawings, paintings and everything girly and  feminine which gave me an idea how I would like to decor my own graphic/fashion studio in the future hopefully when I have enough money to build my own business. It just really lifted my spirit and gave me so much inspiration and ideas to really know I was meant for graphic design and fashion. 

Here are the pictures I took at Humblepie!












We also went to the "Factory" which I really enjoyed and gain knowledge that would benefit my career and helpful advice she was sharing, her name is Cheryl Blankeney and she is the Arts Administrator and you can contact her at info@factorymedia.ca and visit her website at www.factorymedia.ca. Cheryl was talking about some interesting things like how the Factory is a place for anyone interetsed in film and directing also a great place to get inspired, which I also loved how anyone could come in for free and find out more about what field they want to direct themselves and learn more about the business. She also mentioned about a workshop where you can come in for a couple of week and they give you hands on experience to get you familiar with filming and camera lighting and adjusting settings and your basically getting it for free and that was something I think everyone should get a chance to be involved depending what their into.I  think I will go down there again and pay her a visit because this was very useful to me so would my brother because he is also very interested in film and directing and she is an amazing person to talk too so I first thought of my brother when I walked inside the factory and thought this would be the perfect opportunity for him to learn more about film and know he would be happy to go which would be worth while. 

Here are some picture I took while I was there and got some nice photos like Cheryl and the studio. Hope you enjoy them!



Cheryl Blakeney - Arts Administrator 
You can contact her infor@factorymedia.ca

Samples of Graphic Design work



I would highly recommend paying these places a visit because you will be getting real world advice and experience from experts who have been in the business over 20 years and from my personal experience visiting down there I really gained alot of information, that I think not alot of companies wouldn't give. And from speaking with Cheryl she seemed very confident and enthusiastic about how much she loves her job and the people she works with. I hope after reading this you will take advantage of these events and shops and pay them a visit and hopefully enjoy it!

Until Next Time, Fatima!


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time, pictures are always a bonus!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete